Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Napoleon Kaufman, my brother from another mother!

My husband sent this article to me because he knows my passion for Transparency in the church - I thought it blog-worthy...

Let's Remove Mask of Hypocrisy From Christianity - Napoleon Kaufman (from InsideBayArea.com)

AS OF LATE, God has been re-emphasizing to me that Christianity is not just about what I do for Him, it is about who I become in Him. Christianity is about becoming, not just doing.

I believe because this truth isn't being taught enough that many have become hypocrites. Jesus said, "Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness (Matthew 23:28)."

These are very strong words. But I believe they are needed in this hour. Hypocrisy has to do with putting on a mask or pretending to be something that we're not. It is having an outward form without the inward reality.

True Christianity is about being changed from the inside out. Jesus exposed the Pharisees' and Sadducees' true condition. These men had the robes and the language. They prayed, fasted and spent long hours at the temple.

Jesus said, "They appeared righteous to men." This is what hypocrisy is about, an outward appearance.

When Jesus came on the scene, it amazed people because he practiced what he preached.

Whether it was love, righteousness, faithfulness, mercy or truth, Jesus embodied the message. There were no contradictions in His life and that is why His message carried such weight.

When a person chooses to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, He comes in to transform them.

The Bible says, "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord (2 Cor. 3:18)."

The word "transformed" in the Greek is "metamorphoo." It is where we get the word metamorphosis. True Christians are becoming something, in fact they are becoming like Him from the inside out.

The Bible says, "Therefore we do not lose heart, even though our outward man is perishing, yet our inward man is being renewed day by day (2 Cor. 4:16)."

Jesus is concerned about our hearts. Is our thought life pure? Do we really have the love of God? When we pray, are we sincere? When no one is around, what do we watch on television? When we preach something, are we living it? I know it is a process and it takes time to grow as a Christian. My concern is that many have faked it so long that like the Pharisees and Sadducees they believe they are just fine. I have come to say that there is another level of commitment.

Jesus died to make us the light and salt of the earth. People must see hope in Christians. They must see people who have become like Jesus. I realize that I can't change myself, but I can yield to His process with an expectation that He who has begun a good work in me will complete it. If you are like me, you know there is more. So let's remove the mask and go after it.

Napoleon Kaufman is senior pastor of The Well Christian Community Church in Dublin. For more information, call 925-479-1414 or visit http://www.thewellchurch.net/.

No comments: