Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Scraps

This morning I was making my son a delicious breakfast. I had toasted a bagel, cut off the outside(top and bottom?) crusts and was generously applying the cream cheese (I cut off the "crusts" because I'm convinced he eats more when he doesn't have to try so hard to chew - though I realize I may be causing future issues!)

While I am lovingly preparing this meal, out of the corner of my eye I see movement near the floor... And there is N, picking up little pieces of broken, stale goldfish crackers and eating them like they are his last meal! With his head practically down under the lip of the bottom cupboards, I realize that the little guy is more than happy to settle for yesterday's scraps.

Doesn't he see that I have something so much better?

Doesn't he understand that I have toasted and manicured this feast of a bagel for his nourishment and enjoyment?

No. He doesn't. He simply sees what is easy and right before him, and what fills his hunger RIGHT. NOW.

Are you truly happy with yesterday's scraps? Do you believe that there is a God who loves you and daily prepares amazing things just for you? He wants to satisfy your hunger and fulfill your needs. Sometimes it feels easier to start looking elsewhere for our needs to be met... to the past, to the old, to the scraps. But the alternative is far better. Let Him love you, take care of you, be your dad.

The thought of my son foraging around for food is laughable when I have cupboards and cupboards stocked just for his enjoyment. The thought of us foraging desperately for our needs is heartbreaking to the Father, especially when he has paid such a dear price to show us He loves us.

Ask the Father today to reveal His provision for you. Ask Him to show you where you are accepting far less than His best. Talk to Him, listen for Him, trust in Him.

3 comments:

jlaughridge said...

The Father's provision for us... Jesus. I love it =)

Danaly said...

Thank You! I loved this! I keep catching myself settling for something less than that wonderful things my Father has for me and I need to stop that. What a great reminder!!

Abby... the Oregonian said...

kim, this is abby osborn here... i found your blog thru kelly shaw's blog and have been reading for the last hour or so... these last few post have been like getting a sermon fix and boy i needed it. just wanted to say thank you for posting your thoughts and such obvious love and faith in and for the lord. i am reminded of how much i need to just call on him and trust that he will provide. thank you for that... hope this finds you well, maybe we can catch up. abby

atosborn@juno.com